I’m sad that my vacation is officially over, but I’m still high from #BlogHer16! SheKnows Media and BlogHer certainly put on a fantastic conference. I’m coming away with tons of great ideas for One Little Library, and several fantastic connections. It was incredibly helpful to hear what so many other bloggers are doing. My biggest realization was how much I truly do want to devote more time to this. It could easily become more than “just” a hobby—and I’d love to see that happen. I have some great ideas now!
First, there were so many quotable quotes from the keynotes and sessions! I was particularly impressed with Sheryl Crow and Mayim Bialik’s keynotes; they were my favorites by far. As far as the sessions, I ended up doing most of the sessions about minding your blog as a business.
#BlogHer16 Tips for Blogging:
- Don’t be afraid to claim your expertise—you never know what opportunities you might get
- Fake it till you make it
- Always reinforce your mission
- To make your blog more local, get specific with your blog posts
- Create a Media Kit for your blog
- Monetization strategies:
- Affiliate links
- Sponsored content
- Online courses
- Subscriptions to content you’ve created
- Write a book
- Professional services
- Be sure to fill out the metadata for EVERY image on your site!
- Mailmunch for subscription forms
- WP Engine for hosting
- PicMonkey and Canva for images
- Ellevest for investing
- Skillcrush for learning to code
- Affiliate networks to know:
- Commission Junction
- Pepper Jam
- Be bold and claim your expertise
- Be fully present with others
- Always put your best content out there—you never know who’s reading
- The minute your website starts costing you money, you should use it to start making money
- Reach out to influencers and companies in your field for support. Some may say no, but if you don’t ask, you’ll never get those opportunities
Tomorrow I’ll post the list of bloggers I met—so many lovely ladies! I don’t know where #BlogHer17 will be, but I will certainly try to be there again. You should come!