As a book lover, I have many friends and loved ones who also enjoy reading—so when Christmas season rolls around, I’m often looking for the perfect book-themed gifts. One of the best sites around is Etsy, with handmade treasures from individual artisans. For me it’s a double win: I get the PERFECT gift that my friends LOVE, and get to support the creative individuals who make them. Plus, I’ve always had impeccable customer service from the folks on Etsy.
I thought I’d share some of my favorite book- and literature-themed Etsy stores. Keep in mind there are also amazing bookish items from stores that aren’t entirely book-themed, but they’re a lot harder to find. I find the best chances of getting gifts I like at these places.
If you’re looking for wall art, book quotes, and cards, this is the place for you! I got a framed Jane Austen quote (printed on a page from Pride & Prejudice) for my friend, and it is perfect. The frames are small—because these are real pages from real books. Which also makes each one special and unique!
Note: I was really worried about shipping because it’s coming from the UK to California, but it arrived in about a week!
- “I would always rather be happy than dignified” – Jane Eyre quote
- “I love you like Darcy loves Elizabeth” card
- “To love another person is to see the face of God” – Les Miserables quote
As hinted in the shop’s name, this store has a ton of literary gifts for little ones. But there are some great finds for parents, too! I haven’t purchased anything here yet, but I’ve bookmarked several things for any future kiddos. 🙂
- “Keep Calm and Oh My Poor Nerves” – Pride and Prejudice t-shirt. Hilarious!
- Babe the Blue Ox – Paul Bunyan baby onesie
- Jane Eyre Fabric Garland
This shop is the ultimate stop for beautifully designed book quotes. Be aware: what you’re buying is the files (jpeg & PDF), which you can then print and frame yourself.
- This super romantic quote from Victor Hugo
- “To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love” – Pride and Prejudice quote
- One of my favorite quotes from Jane Eyre
I love all of the stickers from this place! They’d make perfect stocking stuffers. These are also great for the bookish friend you have who is also a writer (take note of all of the hilarious grammar-related stickers).
- “She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain” tote
- Oxford comma magnet
- Fight evil; Read books magnet
This shop has posters similar to Litographs. The prices are comparable, and you’ll find some titles here that Litographs doesn’t have. The downside is they’re only available in one color: black.
You know those amazing book quote scarves you see people wearing? BOOM. Right here. I’m also a huge fan of the fingerless gloves—again, great gift for the reader who is also a writer.
I really love the style of the t-shirts and sweatshirts here. I haven’t gotten one (yet…), but they look like a more relaxed fit than many of the other options I’ve seen. This shop also has some great mugs and scarves! Note that most items are Jane Austen-inspired.
- Mr. Darcy’s proposal sweatshirt
- “I am Mr. Darcy” shirt for men
- “I was sure you could not be so beautiful for nothing!” Pride & Prejudice mug
Candles!! That smell like books. Yes, seriously. This shop also sells soy wax tarts, and if you know what those are, please let me know because I’m insanely curious, but not curious enough to buy them to find out. 🙂
- Sexy Librarian soy candle
- Oxford Library soy candle – if someone has truly captured the smell of the RadCam, I might die of blissful nostalgia.
- Pemberly Gardens soy candle
These cards and prints are so sweet. There are a few really unique items here, which I appreciate.
- “You are my sun, my moon, and all my stars” – e.e. cummings card
- One of my favorite quotes from Wuthering Heighers (postcard)
- “Bah! Humbug” Christmas card
This shop has totes and t-shirts for book lovers. Everyone sells Jane Austen merchandise, but I like that this shop has fun prints from some other classic titles. This place is also perfect for simply celebrating the love of reading!