A year ago, I partnered with Emily from The Bookshelf of Emily J., Kay from What Me Read, and Tamara from Traveling With T. to survey our readers about what they (you!) enjoy in a book review blog. We had 100 responses, and this is a summary of the results. If you’re interested in seeing the full results, they can be viewed here.
Thank you so much to everyone who participated; it’s so neat getting to know you! And this helps me understand what I’m doing right, and what I could be doing better.
- What is your age range?
- What do you love to do? What is your biggest passion?
The vast majority of respondents love reading. Other popular answers included:
- Movies – watching and making them
- Helping other people
- What is your favorite book?
|Pride and Prejudice||9|
|To Kill a Mockingbird||6|
|Gone With the Wind||4|
The Shadow of the Wind
East of Eden
- What are your favorite types of books or genres?
- Where do you go to find book recommendations?
|Book review blogs||76|
|New York Times||4|
- What do you want to do when you visit book review blogs?
|Talk about books I love||42|
|Discover new books to read||98|
|Make friends with other bookish folks||45|
|Hear others’ perspectives on books||2|
- What is your favorite part of a book review?
- What is something unique that your favorite book reviewer does?
Readers seem to enjoy when book bloggers draw comparisons of books to their own lives and share their personal feelings/experiences with readers. They want to get to know bloggers themselves—it doesn’t have to be about books all the time. They also want additional resources (related links, etc.) and more book recommendations: “If you liked _____, you’ll enjoy _____.”
- What prevents you from reading?
The lack of time is the biggest obstacle for readers. Life gets in the way: work, taking care of children, social activities, school. I was surprised to see that poor eyesight hinders some readers from reading. For others, absolutely nothing can stop them from reading!
- What would you like book bloggers to write more about?
|Lists of books||62|
|Interviews with authors||37|